What is the letter about
The IRS is sending you Letter 12C because they need additional information to process your individual income tax return. This information can include:
- Missing forms or schedules to support your entries on Form 1040
- Verification of income, withholding, and credit amounts
- Documentation to reconcile advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit (PTC).
What you need to do
- Read your letter carefully and respond timely.
- Respond to the letter, even if you disagree with the information in it.
- Send the IRS a letter what information you think is in error.
- Send the information they requested.
- Do NOT file a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
- If you're due a refund, the IRS will send it about 6-8 weeks after they receive your response.
How to respond
- Fax your information to the fax number in the letter or mail your information to the address shown at the top of the letter
- Include a copy of the letter with your response