Capturing the Paid Preparer signatures in the tax software can be done in multiple ways, but for this tutorial we will be explaining the process using our Cloud Client and Signature Pad.
An actual compatible signature pad must be connected and installed on the device (pc or laptop) before capturing signatures.
Note: All Paid Preparers must have a valid PTIN in order to prepare tax returns and the PTIN is required in the Paid Preparer record for the tax software.
Steps to capture Paid Preparer signature
1. Login to the Tax Software
2. In the Work In Progress (WIP) screen, in the upper left-hand side, you will see the Database Menu. Click Database and select the Paid Preparers option.
3. Select the Paid Preparer and choose Edit
4. On the Paid Preparer window, select Capture Signature
5. Do NOT click on the Message stating:
Sign the signature in Client software then press OK to continue
6. Click on the active Cloud Client icon from your taskbar along the bottom of your screen
7. Select Remote Request from the cloud Client options
8. Select the request from the Cloud Remote Request Queue window
9. Sign the signature pad and click Accept
10. Return to the tax software by selecting the active tax software icon located on your taskbar
11. Now, you can select "OK" on the Message referred to earlier in step 5
12. The signature should now be captured/displayed at the bottom of the Paid Preparer window
13. Click Save
Reminder: this Paid Preparer signature will be present on all tax returns electronically filed with the Paid Preparer's Prep ID present on the Client Data.
Warning: If you receive the message below, this is because the connection from the cloud-based software and the remote request is slow. Please Close the software/cloud client and restart the process.