Some important factors to remember when filing an amended or corrected return:
- Tax returns originally filed electronically, can now be amended electronically
- To avoid delays, file Form 1040-X only after you've filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
When preparing an amendment in the CrossLink software, always remember to start the entire process by adding the Form 1040X before* making any adjustments to the originally filed tax return.
*Not completing this process in order may result in a software miscalculation.
Follow the steps in order to correctly prepare an amendment using the CrossLink software:
1. Verify the tax return is in the originally filed "state."
2. Add Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (remember to add the applicable state amendment if needed).
3. Make any adjustments to the tax return.
4. Complete any Verify messages required to file the amended tax return.
5. Make sure you enter a detailed message explaining the changes on Form 1040X.
6. Enter the desired Prep ID at the bottom of the Form 1040X.
7. Print the Amended Return (Select the menu option Print > Amended Return).
8. Sign the NEW Form 8879 - IRS e-file Signature Authorization, manually or by esign/Signdoc.
9. Collect any additional preparation fees generated from adding an Amendment.
10. Queue the amended tax return(s).
11. Transmit the queued amended tax return(s).