Some important factors to remember when filing an amended or corrected return:
- Include copies of any forms and/or schedules that you're changing or didn't include with your original return.
- To avoid delays, file Form 1040-X only after you've filed your original return. Generally, for a credit or refund, you must file Form 1040-X within 3 years after the date you timely filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.
- Allow the IRS up to 16 weeks to process the amended return.
When preparing an amendment in the CrossLink software, always remember to start the entire process by adding the Form 1040X before* making any adjustments to the originally filed tax return.
*Not completing this process in order may result in a software miscalculation.
Follow the steps in order to correctly prepare an amendment using the CrossLink software:
1. Verify the tax return is in the originally filed "state."
2. Add Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
3. Make any adjustments to the tax return.
4. Complete any Verify messages required to file the amended tax return.
5. Make sure you enter a detailed message explaining the changes on Form 1040X.
6. Enter the desired Prep ID at the bottom of the Form 1040X.
7. Print Form 1040X and any forms/schedules that were adjusted and not sent with the originally filed return (Print by selecting the Print menu option > Return Components > Select Federal/State Return).
8. Collect and additional preparation fees generated from adding an Amendment.
9. Have the taxpayer sign the required documents.
10. Make copies (1 for mailing, 1 for your office file, and 1 for your customer).
11. Mail the copies (see mailing addresses).