Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income
- Taxpayers should receive a 1099-MISC form, if they earned at least $10 in royalties or broker payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest, or more than $600 in:
- Prizes and awards
- Other income payments
- Medical and health care payments
- Crop insurance proceeds
- Cash payments for fish
- Cash payments for attorney services
- Fishing boat proceeds
- Form 1099-MISC must be linked to 1040, SCH C, E, or F.
- Failure to link 1099-MISC to the proper form will result in failure to pay the proper amount of taxes.
- In a typical year with no extensions, Form 1099-MISC must be issued to taxpayers no later than January 31st.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form 1099-MISC:
1. Select Add Form.
2. Begin by typing 1099-MISC, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form 1099-MISC. Double-click to add the form.
4. If a joint return, choose New Taxpayer's or New Spouse's Occurrence.
5. Complete the 1099-MISC, filling in all applicable sections.
Linking Form 1099-MISC
1099-MISC must be linked to the appropriate form. The form that you will link 1099-MISC to will vary depending on the type of income reported.
1. To link the form, select Link to in the appropriate box.
2. Select Choices from the Active Options Window.
3. Select the form you wish to link to (these choices will vary depending on what box you are in).
4. Complete any additional Forms (SCH C, E, F) as needed and any supporting Due Diligence Documents.
Please sign in to leave a comment.