Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
- The Health Insurance Marketplaces issue Form 1095-A to the IRS and to individuals who were enrolled in a qualified health plan through a Health Insurance Marketplace.
- Form 1095-A allows individuals to take the Premium Tax Credit (PTC), reconcile advance payments of the PTC, and file their tax returns accurately.
- Taxpayers who enroll in a Health Insurance Marketplace plan agree to file a tax return, regardless of income, in order to reconcile their Premium Tax Credit.
- Failure to claim Form 1095-A when an individual on the return is enrolled in a Health Insurance Marketplace plan, will result in the return being rejected, or a letter being issued after filing indicating that the 1095-A must be included on the tax return.
- In a typical year with no extensions, Form 1095-A is typically issued to taxpayers in early February.
- Form 1095-A will be mailed to the taxpayers address on file with the Marketplace. Form 1095-A is also available in the taxpayers online Marketplace account.
- Taxpayers who have questions about the amounts on their Form 1095-A should contact their individual Marketplace.
- In situations where someone claimed on the return has Marketplace Insurance, and the policy is shared with another individual or individuals not on the tax return, a Shared Policy Allocation must be completed.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form 1095-A:
Form 1095-A is not added from the Add Form button.
1. Begin by navigating to the Client Data Page. Scroll down to the "Marketplace" Health Insurance section located directly above the Dependents Section.
2. Place an "X" in the box.
3. Refresh. The ACA Prem TC- Premium Tax Cr Worksheet should now be on your Attached Forms Tree.
4. Navigate to the ACA Prem TC- Premium Tax Cr Worksheet.
5. Select the applicable box or boxes in Part 1 Line 1.
6. Enter the Marketplace-assigned policy number.
7. Place an "X" in the box next to Part 2 Line 2 OR Line 3. You must complete ONLY one section.
- If the taxpayer had Marketplace coverage for the entire year, AND the amounts did not change in Column A, B, or C at any point during the tax year, then you may utilize Line 2.
- Enter the TOTALS (and not the monthly premiums) from Line 33 of Column A, B, or C.
- If the taxpayer did not have coverage for the full year, or if any of the amount in the columns changed, or a Shared Policy Allocation is needed, then you MUST use Line 3.
- Enter the monthly premium amounts in Column A, B, and C.
After completing the ACA Prem TC- Premium Tax Cr Worksheet you can view any additional tax owed, for the advanced PTC (Line 29) or any Net PTC (Line 26) on Form 8962.
Need more help? Watch our quick video below...
Please sign in to leave a comment.