Form W-2G, Certain Gambling Winnings
- The requirements for reporting gambling winnings on Form W-2G depend on the type of gambling, amount of gambling winnings, and the ratios of winnings to the wager.
- Taxpayers will receive Form W-2G for gambling income they received during a tax period.
- Taxpayers with gambling winnings may write off their losses up to the amount they won, on SCH A as an itemized deduction.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form W-2G:
1. Select Add Form.
2. Begin by typing W-2G, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form W-2G. Double-click to add the form.
4. If a joint return, choose New Taxpayer's or New Spouse's Occurrence.
5. Complete the W-2G, filling in all applicable sections.
Linking Form W-2G To Form 1040 or SCH C
Form W2-G must be linked to the appropriate form either Form 1040 Other Income or SCH C (Profit or loss from a business). Unless the taxpayer is a professional gambler link the W-2G to Form 1040 Other Income.
1. Select the Link to (1040 or SCH C) box in box 1 of Form W-2G.
2. Select Choices from the Active Options Window.
3. Select either 1040 Other Income- Gambling or SCH C.
If linked to 1040 Other Income- Gambling you can view the linked income on Line 8b.
First ID and Second ID
The software requires a first and second id be entered on Form W2-G.
1. Enter driver's license or other state id.
2. Enter the taxpayer's SSN.
Please sign in to leave a comment.