Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return
After a tax return is submitted, it might be necessary to complete an amendment. Taxpayers should complete amendments if:
- They find errors on their tax return
- They receive forms after filing
- They neglected to claim credits, deductions, or income on their original return
Taxpayers should never amend a return to change their address, file Injured or Innocent Spouse, or report Marketplace Insurance, and instead use the designated IRS forms. Federal amendments are reported on Form 1040-X. State amendment forms vary state to state.
When filing an amendment, it is important to ensure that the return is exactly how it was
when originally filed. This allows any changes made to calculate properly on Form 1040-X. When filing an amendment, you will begin by adding 1040-X to the original return, completing form 1040-X, and then changing or adding any necessary forms or information.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form 1040-X:
1. Select Add Form.
2. Begin by typing 1040-X, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form 1040-X. Double-click to add the form.
4. Before you begin entering information you may need to Unlock the tax return. A tax return is locked after the print button has been selected. To Unlock the return, select the Return drop-down. Select Lock/Unlock.
5. If e-filing the federal amendment select the E-file 1040-X box. Select the validation check boxes as needed.
6. Before adding any additional forms or making any changes, ensure that you add any required state amendment forms, or mark any state checkboxes.
7. Enter any additional forms and make any necessary changes to the return.
8. Navigate to Form 1040-X. In Part IV enter an explanation of the changes being made to the return.
9. Enter the desired Prep ID at the bottom of the Form 1040X.
10. If the taxpayer is due an additional refund from their amendment and wants direct deposit of the refund (new for tax year 2022) mark the appropriate box at the top of the 1040-X.
11. Collect any necessary payments for the amendment. For help taking a payment view our Taking A Payment In The Tax Software Article.
12. Print and sign the amendment. If paper filing the amendment all signatures must be physical signatures.
13. If e-filing, Queue and Transmit the amendment.
- Many states do not allow e-filing at this time, so if your state does not support e-filing, and a state amendment is necessary, be sure to print and have the taxpayer mail any state paperwork.
14. If e-filing check to make sure the amended return was accepted by the IRS or state agency.
Please sign in to leave a comment.