Form 1099-SA, Distributions From From an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA
- Taxpayers should receive Form 1099-SA if they received any distributions from a Health Savings Account, Archer Medical Savings Account, or Medicare Advantage Medical Savings Account.
- Inquire if the taxpayer used all distributions for medical purposes. Distributions not used for medical purposes will be taxed on the taxpayer’s return.
- Reported on Form 8889.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form 1099-SA:
1. Select Add Form
2. Begin by typing 8889, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form 8889. Double-click to add the form.
4. If a joint return, choose New Taxpayer's or New Spouse's Occurrence.
5. Complete Line 1a by indicating the coverage type as Self Only or Family.
6. Enter the distributions from Form 1099-SA on Line 14a.
7. Enter the amount of qualified medical expenses on Line 15.
*Failure to enter qualified medical expenses will result in the distribution being taxable.
Need more help? Watch our quick video below...