Form 1099-SA, Distributions From From an HSA, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA
- Taxpayers should receive Form 1099-SA if they received any distributions from a Health Savings Account, Archer Medical Savings Account, or Medicare Advantage Medical Savings Account.
- Inquire if the taxpayer used all distributions for medical purposes. Distributions not used for medical purposes will be taxed on the taxpayer’s return.
- Reported on Form 8889.
Follow the instructions below to correctly enter the Form 1099-SA:
1. Select Add Form
2. Begin by typing 8889, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form 8889. Double-click to add the form.
4. If a joint return, choose New Taxpayer's or New Spouse's Occurrence.
5. Complete Line 1a by indicating the coverage type as Self Only or Family. Complete Line 1b by entering the month coverage began.
6. Enter the distributions from Form 1099-SA on Line 14a.
7. Enter the amount of qualified medical expenses on Line 15.
*Failure to enter qualified medical expenses will result in the distribution being taxable.
Need more help? Watch our quick video below...
Please sign in to leave a comment.