When e-filing a tax return, it is important to ensure that the return gets accepted by both the federal and state agencies. When filing a return, you may have a return that gets rejected by a federal or state agency, or refused by Central Site. You have not completed the return until it is accepted by the IRS and the state agencies. If you are unable to fix the errors causing the reject or refusal the taxpayer may have to paper file.
What Causes IRS/State Rejects?
Rejections can occur for different reasons. When a return is rejected it just means that the IRS has sent the return back so that errors can be corrected. The most common reasons for rejections are:
- The return contains fatal errors
- Information on the return does not match the IRS database
- The taxpayer has filed elsewhere
- Someone else has claimed the taxpayer’s dependent(s)
- The taxpayer has forgotten to include a form or repayment of some kind
- The taxpayer has forgotten to include their IP PIN
What Causes IRS/State Refusals?
Refusals are rejections by the Central Site and not the IRS. The most common reasons for Central Site to refuse a return are:
- A duplicate return was sent
- A return that is already accepted is resent
- A return has already been filed by another CrossLink User ID and another User ID attempts to send the return
Viewing Rejects and Refusals
Rejects and refusals are displayed on the WIP (Work In Progress) Summary Page.
To view federal rejects:
1. Open the Fed Rejects Menu.
2. Select the return you wish to view. Double-click to open.
3. Federal rejects will open automatically but only part of the message will be displayed. Select the message (it should be highlighted blue). To see more information select Details.
The full text will be displayed, along with the IRS Rule Number. The IRS Rule Number corresponds with why the return was rejected by the IRS.
The Data Value will also be displayed. The Data Value provides information about what data has generated the error. In this example, the Data Value signals that the IP Pin is missing for the Taxpayer.
To navigate back to this message or to view a refusal or state reject message select the Return Drop-Down Menu. Select Rejects/Errors. You can also open this menu with the shortcut code Ctrl+R.
Viewing Refusals and State Rejects
To view federal rejects, state rejects, or state refusals:
1. Open the appropriate menu from the WIP screen.
2. Select the return you wish to view.
3. Select the Return Drop-Down Menu. Select Rejects/Refusals. You can also open this menu with the shortcut code Ctrl+R.
4. Select the message (it should be highlighted blue). Select Details to display the full message.
Please sign in to leave a comment.