SCH E (1040), Supplemental Income and Loss
- Taxpayers use SCH E to report income or loss from rental real estate, royalties, partnerships, S corporations, estates, trusts, and residual interest in real estate mortgage investment conduits (REMICs).
Follow the instructions below to correctly complete SCH E:
1. Select Add Form.
2. Begin by typing SCH E, into the search bar at the bottom of the All Forms and Schedules Menu.
3. Select Form SCH E PG 1 . Double-click to add the form.
4. Complete Part I-Income or Loss From Rental Real Estate and Royalties.
- When completing SCH E each rental or royalty will be assigned a different letter. If there are more than three rentals or royalties add SCH E PG 2.
- For rentals, all lines must be completed in Part I.
- For royalties, most information will autofill after you choose royalty as the property type (6).
5. Complete the income section as needed. Allocating income to the appropriate property/royalty A, B, or C.
- If the taxpayer has linked 1099 forms, this income will be displayed on 3a (rents) or 4a (royalties) as shown.
6. If the taxpayer has rent or royalty payments not reported on 1099 forms, enter this income into 3a (rents) or 4a (royalties).
7. Complete the expense section as needed. Allocating expenses to the appropriate property/royalty A, B, or C.
You can view a taxpayer's net income or (loss) from SCH E on SCH E, Line 26.