Rule Number: IND-941-01
Rule Text: The Spouse SSN in the return has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual.
In order to correct the error, reference the DataValue (this indicates what person or number the rejection is related to). For more information, regarding how to view the details and data values related to rejections and refusals reference Viewing Reject and Refusals.
- The spouse's information is entered incorrectly and the IRS system thinks it is a different person (double-check the SSN, name, and birthday).
- For some reason the Social Security Administration has flagged the taxpayer as deceased.
- The taxpayer is deceased and now someone is trying to file their previous year return.
- Correct the information that is entered incorrectly, resign, and resubmit the return.
- Have the taxpayer contact the Social Security Administration if they are still alive, and paper file their return.